Australian Politics Unit 3: Evaluating Australian Democracy
There are no prerequisites for this unit.
This unit focusses on democratic theory and practice, it compares the practice of Australian politics and Government with democratic ideals. The major elements of representative and liberal democracy are introduced and significant aspects of the Australian system are evaluated in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. Students then compare the Australian political system with the political system of the United States of America (USA) and analyse key aspects of the system including the electoral process, the operation of the legislative branch and the protection of rights and freedoms.
Areas of Study
- Key terms and concepts relating to Australian democracy.
- Key principles and values that underpin a liberal democracy.
- Key features of the Australian political system in practice.
- Protection of democratic rights and freedoms in Australia.
- Operation of the Australian electoral system.
- Operation of the Commonwealth Parliament.
Comparing Democracies: Australia and the United States of America
- Key terms and concepts relating to American democracy.
- Key features of the US political system.
- Protection of democratic rights and freedoms in the USA.
- The electoral system of the USA.
- The Congress of the USA.
- Political leadership in the SA.
- Comparison of key features of the USA political system with the Australian political system.
- An aspect of a selected political system Australia might adopt to strengthen democracy.
|Explain the key values and principles of the Australian political system and evaluate the system’s strengths and weaknesses.
||Short answer questions and/or test.
|Analyse the key features of the political system of the United States of America and critically compare the political systems of Australia and of the United States of America in terms of the extent to which democratic values and principles are upheld.
||Essay and/or short answer questions.
Overall Final Assessment
||Contribution to Study Score (%)
||Unit 3 Coursework
||Unit 4 Coursework
Reproduced by permission of the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority, Victoria, Australia: www.vcaa.vic.edu.au